You can use ArcCatalog or the Catalog window in ArcMap to add new cache, jobs, and output directories to your site. You cannot add system directories, since there can only be one instance of the system directory in the site.
Follow these steps to add a cache, jobs, or output directory to your site:
- In the Catalog tree, expand the GIS Servers node.
- Double-click Add ArcGIS Server and establish an Administer GIS server connection to the server. See Connect to ArcGIS Server from ArcGIS Desktop for instructions on how to connect. If you have an administrative connection set up, you can skip this step.
- In the Catalog tree, right-click your administrative connection and choose Server Properties.
The ArcGIS Server Properties window appears.
- Click the Directories tab.
- Click the Directory Type drop-down arrow, choose the type of server directory you want to create, and click Add.
- Enter a string in the Name field. The string uniquely identifies the new server directory and has no relationship to the folder location on disk.
The Name string cannot be the same as the name of any server directory path, including the path name of the directory you are registering.
- In the Physical Path field, enter the path to the directory or browse to its location on disk, for example, C:\arcgisserver\directories\mycache.
If you specify a nonexistent directory, ArcMap creates a directory.
- Provide a Description of the directory.
- Accept the defaults or set the cleanup mode and maximum file age. The server deletes files in the directory at regular intervals based on the maximum age of the file.
In 10.0 and earlier versions, you could configure the server to delete files at regular intervals based on either the age of the file or when the file was last accessed by a client. In 10.1 and later releases, the server only deletes files if they have not been modified within the specified maximum file age.
- Click OK.
Your directory is added and appears on the Directories tab.